Friday, January 11, 2013

Newsletter for January 14-18

This week we will be reviewing the sight words is and play.  We will also be reviewing the letters Oo and Ff.  Please make sure you are still reviewing our older sight words!  We do not want students to forget them!  So far we have learned: a, can, go, have, I, is, like, play, see, the, to and we.  

I am in the middle of assessing each students reading level.  If your child brings home take home books that have a letter level (example: level C or level D) that means they should read the book to you.  They might need help with a few words but for the most part their reading should be independent.  If your child is still on the Kindergarten list, don't be discouraged!  I will continue assessing their reading every few weeks and eventually everyone will be reading their own books! 

To know if a book your child has is at the right level for him or her, look for this:  the book should only have a few words that students struggle with.  If there are NO words that they need help with, the book might be too easy.  If you feel either way, either that your child's book is too easy or too hard, please just read a couple more books before deciding and then contact me.  Sometimes in one particular level there's a harder or easier book in the list.  But it does not mean that all the books on that level are going to be hard or easy.  I hope I make sense!  If you ever have any questions or doubts about the take home books, please just contact me. 

Remember that Monday January 21 is Martin Luther King Jr Day and there will be no school.  Thank you for your help and support!  jjacobson@res.washk12.org or 668-5027

No comments:

Post a Comment