Friday, August 19, 2011

Newsletter for August 22-26



Welcome to Kindergarten!  We are going to have so much fun this year!  This week we will be mostly learning classroom rules and procedures.  It's crucial that the students understand my expectations early on so that the rest of the year can run smoothly. 

I am going to introduce some fun books with accompanying activities for our very first week of school.  We will be reading some amazing books like, "The Kissing Hand," "Chrysanthemum," "First Day Jitters," and many more!  Parents, be prepared for some tired Kindergartners by the end of the week!  In years past we have started school on a Wednesday which gives the students time to recuperate from the madness of the beginning of the school year.  But unfortunately this year, we will have a full 5 days of Kindergarten before the kids get a break!  Just be aware that this will not only be a fun and exciting week, but also a very tiring one (for teacher too!). 

For the next 3 weeks I will be doing a mini-review of the whole alphabet.  Later on in the year we will focus more on individual letters.  This week I will also introduce our first sight word: I.  In math we will be learning about the basic colors.  I am also going to teach students how to use scissors correctly and how to glue effectively (most of them want to smother their paper with glue!). 

The first day of school I will allow students to come in early and get situated.  But after Monday, morning students will not be able to come in until the first bell rings (8:55 AM) and the afternoon students will not be able to come in until 12:40 PM.  This gives me the necessary time to prepare for our day of fun-filled learning!

I am so excited for another wonderful year in Kindergarten!  I have had so much fun meeting each and every one of the students and I know we are going to have a great time!  If you ever have any questions please feel free to email me or call me.  jjacobson@res.washk12.org or 668-5027

No comments:

Post a Comment